Monday, May 10, 2010

Creamy Shrimp with Corn & Bacon

OK - I will have a TON of awesome pics from this weekend posted very soon! It was a crazy/awesome one, so I will definitely be sharing all of the shenanigans with you.

First off though - I tried out a recipe Saturday night that I found in Real Simple Magazine a while ago, and it turned out really delicious!

Creamy Shrimp with Corn & Bacon
Obviously, I subbed fake-bacon for real bacon - and this was one of those situations where I wish I could have the real thing! But although it would've been really awesome that way, but I love piggies way to much.

Serves 4 Hands-On Time: 25m Total Time: 25m
Ingredients

* 1 cup long-grain white rice (I used short-grain brown rice, and it worked just as well!)
* Kosher salt and black pepper
* 4 slices bacon (or fake bacon)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1 10-ounce package frozen corn

Directions

1. Cook rice according to package directions & set aside.
2. Meanwhile (while rice cooks), cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel, let cool, then break into pieces. Wipe out the skillet.
3. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Stir in the shrimp, corn, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Simmer until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the bacon; serve over the rice.

(photo from www.realsimple.com)

For two people this recipe makes WAY too much food, but the great news is that it's AWESOME as leftovers!! I actually scooped some into one of my 13" sundried tomato farmer's-market tortillas, added chopped romaine lettuce, half a diced avocado, and a bit of ranch dressing, and had it cold for lunch just now. It was really wonderful - and I will definitely be making it for lunch again tomorrow! SUPER YUM! :)

No comments: