Over the weekend I decided to make some chili. I wandered around the farmer's market just picking up random fresh items to throw into it - and really, just about everything sounds good in chili!
I don't mean to brag, but I make probably the best freakin' vegetarian chili EVER. I get so bored with the store-bought kind, and it seems as though "vegetarian" usually just means "tons of beans". Kind of like the way that "vegetarian" on your office's pizza day means "cheese only".
What the heck, man? I'm vegetarian not just because I don't eat meat, but because I LOVE VEGETABLES!!
So here's my recipe for a delicious vegetarian chili full of veggie-love. It has a little kick and a unique (but addictive) flavor!
Beth's Best Vegetarian Chili EVER
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40-60 minutes
Total time: About 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes about 6-8 servings
Gluten-free* / Vegan
- 1 sweet potato (OR 3-4 carrots), peeled & chopped
- 4 small to medium-sized peppers (any kind), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can black beans (drained, but not rinsed)
- 2 cups veggie broth (or water)
- 1 tbsp curry paste (curry powder will work fine)
- 1 can corn (or 2 cobs of corn, steamed and cut off the ears)
- 1 cup soyrizo (vegetarian chorizo), (*you can substitute vegetarian ground beef, or vegetarian sausage - but please keep in mind these may NOT be gluten-free)
- 1 can tomato paste (small)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (OR 1 large can diced tomatoes, not drained)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish), optional (a dollop of cottage cheese is awesome on top too)
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the sweet potatoes (or carrots), and onions, and cook until the onions become soft. Add the peppers and garlic, stir well, and cook another minute. Add the mushrooms, stir well. Carefully add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 40-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so (you may need to add a little more liquid). Serve hot!
I like to put them in containers in the freezer, and store them for up to a month!