Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best Night Ever

Last night my friends really came through for me.

I wasn't even planning on doing a set at open mic night until my friend Katy said she was planning on going. Then I found out 2 more friends were planning on it, so I felt the need to put on a show! I rehearsed with Matt after work, then made my way over to the bar...

...and noticed not 3, but 4 friends at a table! Then I got a phone call from ANOTHER friend saying she was coming down, and turned around to see my little sister and my friend Jesse walk in. I had no idea that so many people were going to be there, and I was thrilled. I even got one in particular surprise "show up" from a certain someone that I completely didn't expect.

I eventually went onstage, and sung "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson, "Colore" by Les Innocents (my token french song), "Collette" by Langhorne Slim, and "Glory Box" by Portishead. I was met with very enthusiastic applause, and I was giddy with all of the positive energy in the room! I have never had that much undivided attention while singing before, and the crowd let me know how much they loved my performance. I know it was just open mic, but it felt AMAZING.

Afterwards my friends all hugged me and told me how well I did. Total strangers at the bar stopped to give me a high-five, or a "great job!". I was overwhelmed. The best part of the night was looking over at the grinning faces of my wonderful friends while singing my heart out under the lights.

It was a night I'll never forget, and my friends made it truly amazing with their support and love. I can't even begin to explain the happy feeling in my heart!

UPDATE: I just heard from Matt that I WON last night! I left before open mic was over, but every Monday night they give away a bar tab to the best performer. And I won it!! WOO HOO! :) It just gets better & better!

No comments: