Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Best Freakin' Potato Salad Ever

Last night I had some of the gals over to be guinea pigs for some new recipes, and to watch the chick-flick classic "Thelma & Louise".

One of the recipes I tried was from my new How it All Vegan cookbook, and I gotta say - it turned out to be one of my new favorites. It was super duper easy, and I hope I don't butcher the crap outta the ingredients here - but this is pretty much it. And it's without all of the fatty eggs and mayonnaise that usually goes into potato salad!

Vegan Cucumber Potato Salad

- 2 to 3 cups diced red potatoes (or fingerling potatoes - this is what I used)
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I just used some old red wine that wasn't fit to drink)
- fresh dill

Cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 20-30 minutes (until tender with fork), and run under cold water until cool. (I would've allowed time for them to chill in the fridge for a little while myself, as the cooling process was difficult with just cold water). Mix the olive oil, mustard, horseradish, red wine vinegar & dill in a small bowl. In a large bowl combine the potatoes & the cucumber, then mix in the dressing. Voila! Deeeliciousness!

A potato salad that's healthy for you? WHOA!

Another great recipe that came out of the evening was the Curried Apple Soup - the girls gobbled it right up and went back for seconds. You'll have to get the cookbook though for that recipe - and I promise, it's worth it. All of them are super easy, and so far absolutely delicious!

No comments: