Friday, August 31, 2012

Spending Fast Update - 8 months down! Oh, and I GOT A NEW JOB!! :D

HEY GANG!!! 

So I'll tell you all about my new super awesome job that I'm totally excited about in just a minute (even though I know you're dying with anticipation), but as far as my Spending Fast goes, I think I did pretty darn well this month!  

I'm mostly excited about my Discover bill (the biggest one with the highest interest rate).  Check out THIS awesomeness: 

STARTING AMOUNT:  $4,423.11
CURRENT AMOUNT:  $1,017.41

SHIT. YES. 
I was so happy when I realized how close I am to getting that number under a grand.  Especially since that $4k number pretty much made me cry at the beginning of this year.  There's nothing you can't do if you just put your mind to it!  WOOT! 

Here is how I did with non-spending during the month of August: 


AUG


Date Not buying Approx $ not spent Total $ Saved
8/1/2012 Derby Dues $50.00 $50.00
8/4/2012 Waterworld (couldn't get free tix this year) :(  $40.00 $90.00
8/5/2012 Concert (Megan & I decided not to go, and save the $) $8.00 $98.00
8/6/2012 Free burrito AND free chips & queso!!  (thanks, Qdoba!) $13.00 $111.00
8/9/2012 Lunch at Breck Brewery (brought my own lunch, just went to say hi) $15.00 $126.00
8/9/2012 Flavored Vodka (really wanted to get this for hot cocoa) $20.00 $146.00
8/16/2012 Dress at Ross (I can't believe I walked out without it!  I'm growing!) $15.00 $161.00
8/20/2012 The Clymb - big sale (would've gotten free stuff, but still $8 to ship!) $8.00 $169.00
8/27/2012 TJ Maxx stuff (bought over weekend - returned items due to guilt) $35.00 $204.00
8/27/2012 Comemerative beer mug (sale) for Oktoberfest (dangit!) $10.00 $214.00
8/29/2012 Bottle of wine (really wanted one!)  $10.00 $224.00


Not too shabby!  

I started out with $13,168.04 of debt at the beginning of this year. 
I'm now left with $7,863.64 - that means I've paid off $5,304.40 in the past 8 months!  WOOHOO!  

And now on to the big news... 
I'm going to be working at a BAKERY!! 
I'm so doggone excited. 
Unfortunately this means I'll be taking a pretty big pay cut (the debt will now be decreasing in much smaller baby-steps), but I'll finally, FINALLY be doing something that I'm really excited about.  

I'm just starting as a "team member" - which means helping customers, probably cleaning, helping with prep work & all that, but I'm hoping to eventually move up the ranks.  The people at this bakery seem pretty darn awesome too, and I can't wait to start with them!  

OH, and did I mention the best part?  They're going to have me decorating CUPCAKES!!!  :D  


SO. AWESOME. 

Funny story on how it all happened actually.... 
On Wednesday I was thinking about how I really wanted to do something where I wasn't sitting at a desk all day.  That it would be fun to be working with food and people - both of which I enjoy doing so much!  Then I thought "What about a bakery?"

I went on Craigslist, and lo & behold, a bakery near my house was hiring. 

I was so excited that I emailed them my resume and explained how thrilled I was for the opportunity. 

That night, I decided to take a bit more initiative. 

Firstly, I prayed.  I haven't prayed in a long time, and I was much overdue.  I realized that I needed a little extra help - I could come so far, but I needed another little push in any way I could find it.  I realized that the money wasn't important - my happiness was.  That's what I truly wanted, and I prayed for it with all my heart. 

Secondly, I got up early, and scooted my butt down to the bakery with my resume.  I decided, they needed to meet me in person.  The email wasn't gonna cut it. 

Luckily, they wanted to do an interview on the spot!  I was totally honest about what I wanted to do, and explained how excited I was to work with them.  I told them that I love baking and cooking at home, and I'd be thrilled to do anything in regards to that - and I was more than ready to get out from behind a desk again.

The hired me right then & there!! 

The girl said that they had been through a bunch of interviews, and that they were just about to call someone that they would be OK with hiring...

...then I walked in the door. 

I cried the whole way home of happiness!!  
And of course, thanked God for the help. :) 
 
So this does mean that I will be away from the computer more, and posts may be a bit more infrequent starting next month.  But you know what?  That's OK with me.  I will be away from a computer and out living my life.  Don't worry though, I'll still keep you kids updated every chance I get!  

Especially about the opportunity to come and eat some cupcakes. :) 

I'm SO ridiculously excited about this new chapter in my life!!

7 comments:

Kendra said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth B said...

Haha! Best comment response EVER. :)

Kelley M. said...

I love this post! Congratulations Beth, you deserve all good things that come to you!!

Beth B said...

Thank you so much, Kelley!! :D You're awesome!!

Robyn May said...

So, this totally made me choke up a little bit! I am so absolutely THRILLED for you, Beth! Yay, YOU! I would say no more desk and less computer is wonderful for the heart and soul! XOXO

Valerie said...

This is truly inspirational - congratulations!!!

Beth B said...

Thank you, ladies!! It's so wonderful to know how supported I am in this choice! Big cyber-hugs to all of you... I'm feelin' the love big time!! :D <3 xoxo