Friday, March 19, 2010

The Master Cleanse - Day 4

Whooooops!

Forgot to tell you all that I started the Master Cleanse this week. Ha! My bad.

Anyhew, I decided it would be a good way to jump-start my system before spring hit full force, and so that I could get back into eating healthier. I really hope it works!

Monday I just had raw fruits & veggies to get my body ready, then Tuesday began cleanse day #1. On the Master Cleanse, all you consume for 10-days is a lemonade "drink", which consists of purified water, organic lemon juice, organic maple syrup, and a dash of cayenne pepper. It doesn't taste too bad - just like lemonade with a slight maple flavor. You can barely taste the cayenne at all, (unless you use too much, like I did the first day).

Day 2 was definitely the hardest by FAR, and now that I'm at day 4 I've come to a realization. It's not so much being hungry that makes me want food so badly, it's more so the pleasure of eating it and enjoying it that I miss! The lemonade drink satisfies all of the body's basic needs - and certainly curbs my hunger. But I truly miss the taste of food, the daily meals, cooking, a cup of coffee, dinner out with friends, etc. I have realized through all of this that food is not just there for our basic needs - it is there for our enjoyment! I know that when we eat something pleasurable, our brains release the same happy sensation (endorphins) that is released during sex. How could we not look forward to meals, and find eating enjoyable?

I realize that I'm doing fine without the alcohol, and see it as more of a social thing than anything. My body doesn't crave it or miss it. I do miss coffee, but since I only had it maybe 2-3 times / week I don't think it's the caffeine that I crave - but maybe the enjoyment and comfort I feel from it?

So that's what I'm going through in a nutshell. The cleanse has been quite an interesting test in self-control, and so far I've definitely dropped a few pounds. I hope I can make it through the whole thing - wish me luck!

I borrowed this photo from another blog, but these are the basic ingredients of the cleanse!

No comments: