Saturday, April 24, 2010

Walk for Autism





This morning my friend Lindsey and I got up at the butt-crack of dawn to stand in the unusually brisk weather to volunteer for the Walk for Autism.

We helped with chalking the start line (which makes for some pretty SWEET colors on our hands), and drew puzzle pieces everywhere (which is part of the "Autism Speaks" logo). After that we helped with the games, and were assigned to the Toilet Toss which we found rather hilarious.

Eventually we were moved to the blow-up slide which I don't have any pictures of because the kids went nuts for it! It took all of our power not to have them falling off & bonking their heads one by one... let alone keep the number of them on it at a time to a minimum. We had a couple of autistic kids that climbed to the top and wouldn't come down too which was challenging.... man, as if parenting wasn't difficult enough! I really commend those parents with autistic children. They really are amazing kids, but you would have to change the entire way you brought them up. So my hat is truly of to you folks! God bless you!

The kids really were adorable, and we were exhausted when it was all over. It was so cold and overcast this morning, and of course it's gorgeous and sunny now! Crazy Colorado weather, I'm tellin' ya.... it was worth it though, and I felt super good about getting involved. I'll definitely be doing it again next year!

No comments: