Monday, July 30, 2012

No Carb Portabello Mushroom Pizza & the Perfect Snack

This weekend was CRAZY (really fun, but pretty darn crazy), and included all of the following: 

- Yoga on the platte river with Katy & Geneva
- Drinking a bit too much at Mile High Spirits 
- A 60-minute massage at Spavia (I finally used this - it was a Xmas gift!)
- Shopping with my momma (her treat - what a gal)
- A surprise concert at Red Rocks with Geneva (Cake with the Lumineres!)
- Loadin' up on foods at our local Farmer's Market 
- Coors Brewery Tour
- Tubing in Golden, CO with friends & Kendra from A Grimm Tale
- Catching up on episodes of "Felicity" (just started re-watching it on Netflix!)
- Not getting enough sleep...

I kind of need a weekend for my weekend!  Haha!  Pictures to come... 

But firstly, a new (and delicious) meal that John and I had last week! 
We've been trying to do the South Beach Diet the past couple of weeks.  It's been good, but I've missed fruit SO MUCH.  It's funny that I have been missing that more than bread, rice, and pasta.  Who'd have thunk it?  Anyhew, we really REALLY wanted pizza one night, so I got some Portabello mushroom caps, and we had some low-carb pizza fun.  It was so easy too! 


Portabello Mushroom Mini-Pizzas
Each cap serves 1 person - customize them any way you like! 

- Portabello mushroom caps (1 per person)
- Tomato sauce / marinara
- mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese (a couple of dollops, optional)
- arugula
- zucchini
- onions
- red pepper flakes (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Meanwhile build your pizzas!  Place the caps top-side down on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.  Top with sauce, the toppings of your choice (I used zucchini, arugula, onions, ricotta cheese and mozzarella), and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, or Italian seasonings. 

Bake in the oven for about 5-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. 

Enjoy! 

These were so good - and John and I didn't even miss the bread.  We will definitely make this one again! 


Today we could finally start having fruit again, and thank GOODNESS it's still peach season.  I would have totally cried - I'm not even kidding. 

I had an amazing breakfast of whole-grain toast with part-skim ricotta cheese, sliced peaches, and a drizzle of local honey.  It was everything I hoped it could be. 

For my mid-morning grumbly tummy I had what I am deeming the Perfect Snack: 

 
An organic brown rice cake with a slice of Swiss cheese (zapped in the microwave for 15 seconds), and a locally-grown plum.  DELISH, and perfectly satisfying! 

More fun & updates to come from the weekend!  Hope yours was wonderful. :)
 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So jealous! I would have loved to see The Lumineers! How was it? And also those portabello mini pizza look awesome! I'm actually making mini pizzas tonight with zucchini instead of dough.

Beth B said...

Oh man - it was awesome. It rained on us, but we didn't even care. We danced and jumped and had a wonderful time!

Zucchini is a GREAT idea too! I've cut them into thin strips before and used them as a substitute for Lasagna noodles too - SO good. :)