Well gang, I turn 31 on Sunday. Last year when I turned 30 I didn't really think much about it. I just figured hey, it's another step in my life! Whatevz! But now that I've reached 31, I've realized that things are changing. I'm becoming a different person. Not in bad ways (at least I hope not!), but just growing, you know? Growing more into myself. So maybe it's not that I'm "different" than I was before - I'm just more "myself" than I've ever been before.
I'm probably not making much sense right now. But hey, I'm old. ;)
Last year I told you about the 30 things I learned in 30 years. This year, I decided to update the list completely. So here goes!
31 NEW things I’ve learned in 31 years
1. Sometimes, you gotta compromise. Whether you like it or not.
2. Makeup is not essential. But sometimes making a little effort to look better, makes me feel better.
PS - you should totally check out this link for all of the photos - you can slide the bar across & see what the models look like before & after makeup! Rad. :)
3. Yoga pants are the best things on the planet. They’re as comfortable as pajama pants, and you can still leave your house without looking like a slob.
4. Sometimes you have to suck it up and just go to the doctor. Any doctor. ;)
5. I like jogging without music. It’s nice to meditate on the silence.
6. I hope that I’m never too old to wear pigtails.
7. What I own is not who I am.
8. There is a big difference between things I NEED and things I WANT.
9. I need to have at least one morning a week that I can wake up when my body wants to (without an alarm).
10. I still friggin’ love roller derby.
11. Sometimes 1 beer is enough, but 2 glasses of wine is perfection.
12. Snow, rain, ice, cloudy – they can all be beautiful days, it just depends on how you look at them.
13. Life is as wonderful as you make it.
14. Nothing feels better than a really good stretch.
15. A hot bath and a glass of wine can easily turn a bad day around. I absolutely LOVE that this is the image I found for this one - LOL!!
16. Travelling is going to be so much more fun when I can save up the money for it – instead of charging everything and being broke when I get back.
17. It’s okay to say “no” to things.
18. You can’t make everybody happy. But you can certainly try.
This is actually a direct line from the film "Happy Go Lucky", but I think it's a wonderful thought. If you haven't seen it, you must!
19. Be respectful. Be extra respectful to those you love. Aretha knows what I'm talkin' about...
20. You don’t need an iPhone to be happy, productive, or complete. I’m living proof.
21. Tip well. It’ll make someone’s day.
22. You can usually find something free to do in place of something that costs money – and you will probably have just as much fun doing it.
23. Making popcorn on the stove is WAY more fun than in the microwave. I could not stop giggling the first time the kernels started popping!
24. Say “good morning” to people on your jog, or on your way into work. It’s nice to start the day with a friendly smile.
25. Wear a helmet. Your noggin’ is not just important to you, but to everyone you love!
26. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you’re going to be late. Don’t take it out on everyone around you.
27. Remember how good it feels when someone shows you how much you are appreciated, and reciprocate.
28. Reduce, reuse – THEN recycle. In that order.
29. When you get lost it’s just an opportunity to have an adventure.
30. When you think positively, positive things happen. When you think negatively, negative things happen. Or at least you believe each is happening… so wouldn’t you rather the outcome be positive?
31. Encouragement is a gift. It’s wonderful to give and receive.
I'm so grateful for everything I've learned in my life, and I am excited about where the next year will take me (and how much more I will continue to learn). Thanks to all of my friends and family - the love, encouragement, support, and happiness you've brought into my life fills my heart every day. I love you!!
All photos found on www.weheartit.com, or on a Google image search.