Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My 31st Birthday (also known as the best weekend ever!)

I didn't think I could top my Epic 30th Birthday Roller Disco party, but I sure as heckfire did!  It was definitely a bit more low-key than last year, but awesome just the same!

Friday night was pretty low-key, but lovely.  I had a night to myself at home, and I just enjoyed relaxing and snuggling with the kitty! 

Saturday morning I used a massage gift certificate that I'd bought through Groupon near the end of last year.  It was kind of the best way to start the day EVER! :)  

I then headed down to Castle Rock to see our old family friend Connie who was visiting from out of town.  I had breakfast with her and my mom - it was so nice to catch up! 

After that, I met up with my friend Korey at Chuck E Cheese's for her 34th b-day party.  It was kind of ridiculous, but kind of fun too.  I love how my friends can still be kids, even though we're all grown up now.

I headed home to get changed, and to get my booty to the Fillmore for the roller derby bout!  My team (the United States Pummeling Service) played the Pikes Peak Derby Dames (from Colorado Springs).  I didn't skate myself, but I did sing the National Anthem! 

  
Dave Wood got a photo of me in action (thanks, Dave!) - I was so nervous, but I tried really hard not to be!  John took a video of me in action... 
 


Pretty cool, huh!?  It was so amazing to get up in front of that many people and just sing my heart out!  Man - what a rush.  

The bout was great - USPS won by a good 200 points.  So it was definitely a blowout, but still fun to watch!  I started rooting for Pikes Peak near the end though - I would've loved to see them come back a bit.  They were fighting tooth & nail, so I gotta give them props! 

After the bout we headed to Goosetown for drinks and libations.  I had a bit too much to drink (of course - ugh), but still had a super fun time.  We headed to Rockbar for a minute, then John and I headed home. 

The next morning I had a bunch of friends over for brunch!  It was WONDERFUL - and totally kept within my Spending Fast guidelines.  I made a couple of casseroles, and everyone was gracious enough to bring food & drink to share.  I'm so glad we did it this way too, because more people could come, and we had tons of food!  SO awesome. 


    
OH and John gave me my birthday gift!  His aunt made this CUSTOM for me - isn't that awesome??  The silverware are garden markers, and I think they're just adorable.  I can't wait 'till we have the garden started and we can actually use them!  :)




Sean actually had a story about getting that shirt for free the night before when we were at Rockbar... it was pretty hilarious!  I guess he saved a guy's iPad from landing on the sticky, disgusting dance floor.  Way to go, Sean!


Meredith holding Nikki's little bundle of joy, Nico!  Isn't he just the cutest!?


My derby wife, Megan (below with the scowl - she's so silly) that I started this blog with, brought the Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch pictured above, and a 1/2 gallon of milk.  I gotta say, it was one of the best things I've ever had someone bring to a brunch!  LOL!



Me & Cat A Combs!  She rocked it at the bout the night before - she jammed a bunch of times, and did an amazing job!  She's such a rockstar. :)


John sure does love his Blackhawks...




Katy is in love with her juicer as much as I am - this is one of her concoctions!  It's apple, carrot, ginger juice - but she puts WAY too much ginger in it for my liking. ;)  She's a spicy gal, so she likes it spicy!


Daddy & baby.  Nico is so cute!!


Me and my birthday twin!!  Ryan and I have the same birthday - just 1 year apart.  We've known each other since High School, and we celebrate our birthdays together every year!  Pretty awesome.


I couldn't resist putting these pictures together... Bill is totally crazy about our kitty, Fudge.  So it's him & Fudge, and Me with Nico!  Haha!


It actually even got warm enough for us to take the party outside - how awesome is that?? It was like 65 degrees and sunny - SO beautiful.  We played frisbee, and the guys played bags.  It was great!



After doing a quick clean-up, John and I enjoyed some down time on the couch watching TV, and checking email.  I took a 15-minute nap, that was perfect!  Then I got a call from Korey (her b-day was at Chuck E Cheese's the day before) - she said they were going for a bike ride.  Of course, we had to join! 






We went to the park, we stopped and played on a swing set AND a see-saw - it was hilarious!  Kind of the best bike ride ever.  :)  We kept getting into giggle-fits. 

That night, my family took me out to dinner at Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company!  I wanted to go there because I wanted CRAB LEGS like nothin' else!  And I sure did get what I wanted.  In case you're wondering - "hey, aren't you vegetarian?  Or vegan or something?" - well, I'm kind of all of that.  Technically I'm Pescitarian (a mostly vegetarian that eats fish), but I try to eat vegan at home as much as possible, I eat vegetarian all other times, and every now & then I enjoy some seafood.  I hope that clears things up a bit! 


I kinda love this picture of my parents with John.  Hilarious!


It was so wonderful to see Deb too - our family friend of many many years.  She's so hilarious - I love her!!  And Taryn's haircut looks absolutely adorable too.  She's making me want to cut my hair off! ;)
 

John had some fun with playing with his food! 


And I got my ridiculously delicious & buttery crab legs.  They were everything I hoped they would be!

After dinner, John and I came home and watched I Love You Phillip Morris.  I actually really enjoyed it!  It certainly wasn't what we expected - I didn't realize that it was based on a true story, and that Steven Russell had escaped from prison so many times.  Kind of crazy! 

Ewan McGregor was absolutely adorable, and I think they both did a great job of portraying a gay couple.  There's a scene where they're dancing in their cell when they're in prison together, and it's a really tender moment.  

It was sad, funny, and overall really fun.  Definitely check it out!   


All-in-all, my weekend was totally amazing.  I have the best people in my life, I swear.  :)  I felt so loved and special, and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.  Yay for another awesome birthday!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I want a B-day like that. :) Glad you brought a new year in with loved ones and lots of fun activities, Beth.