I leave for NYC tomorrow to visit my sister, and I absolutely can't WAIT!
Before the craziness of this past weekend (with Katy's wedding & everything - pics to come soon!), I got down to some cookin'.
I wanted something with lots of yummy veggies, but then I found some salmon filets in the freezer, and I thought "Well, SHOOT - I gotta make those!!"
I went totally nuts with all of the fixin's, but man, it was delicious.
- I cooked some black eyed peas, and used that as my base (they were a little undercooked though, unfortunately!)
- I chopped up some leafy green lettuce and sprinkled it around the edges of the plate, then dressed it with some olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and seasonings.
- I steamed some broccoli, and caramelized some red onions.
- I roasted sliced tomatoes in the oven with some sliced garlic (ugh - that was AMAZING!)
- I made some mustard/horseradish aeoli (sp?) to drizzle over the broccoli
- I cooked the salmon in foil after squeezing some lemon over it and slathering it with some mayo.
It was a bit of a process, but MAN it turned out super good!!
We also cracked open a bottle of Gewurztraminer that night - the sweetness went great with the light & flaky fish. My old neighbor, Jess, gave me this wine topper as a "going away" present when I moved out earlier this month. How hilarious is that?? :)
Also, my new favorite breakfast is what I like to call Peaches & Cream.
Just take some leftover quinoa, and simmer about a cup of it in a small pot with about 1/2 a cup of almond milk (or soymilk - vanilla flavored is a bonus). I used a bit too much milk in this picture, but it was still really yummy.
Add a pinch of your favorite sweetener (I like to use 1-2 tbsp of Brown Rice Syrup), mix well, then top with sliced peaches.
Trust me. It's a wonderful way to start the day!
I probably won't be blogging while I'm in New York - I'll be too busy I'm sure! :)
So have a great rest of your week, and there will be more to come when I get back!