Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vegan Enchiladas!

Firstly, please let me apologize for these ridiculously terrible pictures!  I had a very pretty plate all done-up, and thought to myself "Hmmm, should I take a pic of this?" - but I was so hungry I just dove right in. 

Then after John and I realized how AWESOME these were, I was kicking myself!  Haha!  


Ah, well - you should still TOTALLY make these anyway.  They're so unbelievably good, and totally vegan.  They're creamy and yummy and amazing - you won't even miss the cheese!  I think John's first words after trying them were, "OK, you're definitely going to have to make these again!"

That's always a good sign.  :) 

VEGAN ENCHILADAS
Serves about 5-6 people, but we're going to enjoy the leftovers! 

INGREDIENTS
1 package extra firm tofu (drained)
Nutritional Yeast (about 1/2 a cup)
Soyrizo (veggie chorizo), 1 sleeve (they come in a pair)
1/2 an onion (minced)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Garlic salt (1 tbsp)
Taco seasoning (2 tbsp)
Refried beans (1/2 a can)
Daiya cheddar cheese shreds (optional)
Corn tortillas (you'll need about 10-ish)
1 tomato (diced)
Black beans (1 cup cooked, or 1 can)
Enchilada sauce (we used the red kind) or green chili (1 can or jar)
Avocados or guacamole (optional - for serving)

DIRECTIONS
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, and get out a large baking pan or casserole dish.  Ours was about 9x13" in size. 
In a large bowl, mash up the tofu.  Mix in the nutritional yeast, the Soyrizo, the minced onion, the lemon juice, the garlic salt, the taco seasoning, and the refried beans.  Be sure it's well mixed!

Plop about 3/4 a cup of filling into each corn tortilla, fold the sides over, and place seam-side down into the baking pan.  Repeat until all of the fillings and tortillas are used.  

Dump Daiya cheddar shreds on top of your enchiladas (this is completely optional - it's great without them too!).  Sprinkle the diced tomatoes over everything, and then sprinkle on the black beans.  Lastly, dump the enchilada sauce or green chili over everything (be sure all the tortillas are well coated). 

Place pan in the oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. 

Remove from the oven and served with sliced avocado or guacamole! 

You could easily pre-make this filling too, so that it's ready to go for dinner the next day!  The tofu is very resilient, and super easy to store beforehand.  


This looks a little destroyed in the picture, but it's just 'cause John sliced the enchiladas the wrong way when he was getting them out of the pan.  HA!  Silly boy. ;) 

I will DEFINITELY be making this recipe again - it was SO good, totally addicting (we both went back for seconds!), and much healthier than the average enchilada recipe.  I think next time I may add some chopped zucchini as well, and maybe serve with a side of fresh corn salsa as well as the guac! Yum. 

----------------

Annnnnnd I'm off to Pennsylvania for a long weekend to visit my grandparents and my aunts!  My mom and dad and I are going together, so it'll be quite the family excursion.  Hopefully I can make it through the humidity.... I'm planning on bad-hair-days the entire time I'm there.  HA! 

Have a great rest of your week!  See ya when I get back! :)