Friday, April 6, 2012

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! (and my love of Musicals)

The other night while flicking channels, I randomly came across a news station that was talking about the fact that Jane Powell was going to be in Denver to promote the TCM film festival!  She was going to be at the Mayan Theater to speak before a FREE showing of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I kinda freaked out a little bit. 

Jane Powell: 


My mom kind of brought us up watching musicals when we were kids, so we've always been HUGE fans of these films.  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my favorites!!  So my little sis and I picked up a 4-pack of mini-bottles of wine, and headed to the theater! 


We are so excited!! :D  I couldn't wait to see it on the big screen - so awesome.  The program was advertising all of the films they'd be playing on TCM for the festival - I only wish I had that channel!  Ha! 


We were sitting pretty far back which is why this pic is so fuzzy.  But there she is!  Jane Powell!  Still as gorgeous as ever.  And she was super funny and witty too!  


After the interview they introduced the film.  I couldn't resist snapping a couple of shots during it... 



One of my favorite dance scenes - for "Goin' Courtin'".  Love it!  

THIS however is my absolutely favorite dance scene from the movie.  It's absolutely fantastic: 



I just love that musicals are kind of coming back now.  I remember when I first saw the revival film of Chicago (with Renee Zelleweger & Catherine Zeta-Jones), I thought "YES!!  THEY'RE BACK!!" Sigh, I just love musicals so much.  It's not just about being a good actor - you have to be able to sing and dance too.  And the energy is just thrilling!

Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie, you absolutely MUST.  It's so much fun, the choreography is fantastic, and the music is wonderful.  And Howard Keel is in it.  Did I fail to mention him?  :D 
Here are some more of my favorite classic musicals if you want to get caught up and rent them from the library! 

Funny Face 

Singin' in the Rain


On the Town 


Hello Dolly

Funny Girl


 Here's one of my favorite scenes from Funny Girl.  And no, not just because they're rollerskating. ;) I just LOVE Barbara Streisand in this movie!  


White Christmas


Court Jester


An American in Paris


West Side Story


That's just a handful, but they'll get you started. ;) 

All images (not taken by me) from Google Image search.  Video and screen shots copywrite MGM.


2 comments:

Kendra said...

everything is better with mini bottles of wine. everything.

Beth B said...

Truer words have never been spoken. :D Haha!