Monday, January 31, 2011

A Jane Austen Weekend

Whenever I'm feeling a bit stressed out, tired, sick - or just a bit out of sorts, it always seems to make me feel better to watch some good ol' fashioned Jane Austen!

I found some time to FINALLY relax a bit this weekend, and it was really wonderful. First I watched Jane Austen Book Club - which was the inspiration for my mom & I to start our own book club (which has been an ongoing thing for the past 2-years now! Wow!).

I don't care what anybody says - I love this movie. It's cute, funny, warm, and Hugh Dancy is adorable to boot! I always get annoyed with the "beauty lesbians" that are littered throughout (one character seems to meet a gorgeous lesbian at EVERY turn) - not that they're gay of course, but because they're so stereotypical of Hollywood's view of how lesbians should be (never butch in the least - god forbid!). And the fact that every girl she comes in contact with throughout the movie just *happens* to also be gorgeous and gay. Whatevz!

But I digress. I still love it. It makes me happy and always renews my love for good books, good friends, and good conversation!!

Next up was Persuasion, based on Jane Austen's book. This was shown on PBS, and filmed in the UK with the lovely Sally Hawkins in the lead. Again, if you haven't seen her in Happy Go Lucky, you absolutely must. She's utterly hilarious.

Anyway, this one has quickly become one of my favorites. The story is wonderful, and the acting is divine!! Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the lead is played by this guy...


Yum. :)

Next up on my playlist? I'll give you a hint - it's not Jane Austen, but it's from the same time period, and by another famous female author. OK, I'll just tell ya. Jane Eyre. Check out all these films / books. You won't be disappointed!

No comments: