Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Three Bean Salad & Vegan Dinner

I made this 3-Bean Salad on Sunday, and have been nom-nom-noming down on it all week! It's SO easy to make (if you can buy ingredients, chop, and stir - you're good!), totally healthy, and awesome on top of stuff (as you can see with my lunch idea listed below).

Try to get everything organic for bonus points!

Three Bean Salad
Adapted from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch recipe

2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I used some old red wine that turned)
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt & pepper (to taste)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup frozen corn (thawed under warm water)
1 cup shelled edamame soy beans (thawed under warm water)
1 15-16oz can red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
1 15-16oz can white northern beans (rinsed & drained), or garbanzos if you prefer
1/2 small yellow onion OR scallion (finely minced)
1/2 a red bell pepper (chopped)
2 tbsp dried Italian seasonings (or fresh basil / cilantro)

Add the first 3 ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Add all of the other ingredients to the bowl with the dressing, and gently toss.

DONE!! Yep, I told ya it was easy! Here's a quick & easy way of using that beautifully colorful 3-Bean salad for lunch during the week (I ate it this way both yesterday and today).

Step 1 - layer the bottom of your dish with leftover brown rice (I love making a big batch of whole grains to use in my meals throughout the week. It makes my life so much easier!)

Step 2 - layer on some peppery arugula (my new favorite), fresh spinach, or spring mix.

Step 3 - drizzle on some balsamic vinaigrette (not too much! The bean salad has lots of flavor!)

Step 4 - top with your 3-Bean salad, and take it to work! YUM!!

This is a photo of the deeeeeelicious apple curry veggie soup that I mentioned yesterday. I never make soup (EVER), and I've made this soup 3 times since I discovered it. It's so easy, and SO delicious.

This is what I had for dinner over the weekend! I totally made it up, but it was REALLY yummy and hearty. Perfect for a cold winter evening! Here's what it is:

Beth's Thrown-Together Beany Vegan Stew
whole grain pasta
white northern beans (drained / rinsed)
diced red pepper
vegan Italian sausage links
mushrooms
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup (I used this because it was sitting in my fridge, and wanted to use the leftovers. It was SO yummy, but you could totally use pasta sauce instead w/ a splash of soymilk)
Tofutti sour cream (optional)

Cook the pasta according to package directions, and use that at the base of your bowl. While the pasta is cooking, cook the red pepper, mushrooms, and "sausage" in a pan until lightly browned. Add the beans & soup (or sauce) to the pan and heat through. Dump over the pasta, and top with a dollop of Tofutti sour cream.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm REALLY excited about these recipes you're sharing. Although I'm not vegan, they still sound great and look delicious! Good luck with this goal. I'll be your sideline cheerleader.

Beth B said...

Thanks so much, Kendra! I'm hoping that my sharing them will inspire others... and also help to keep myself on track. ;) There are so many yummy things out there to eat that don't contain meat or cheese, and I'm going to make it my priority to discover a new one every week. Thanks for the support!!

MELI. said...

OMG yummmynesss!! congrats in such awesome commitment for this year, it wil be so much fun seeing your progress and recipe food adventures =)))
go girl! xxom