Thursday, October 15, 2009

Roller Derby - YEAH!


Just saw "Whip It" with my daddy-o last night, and it was really cute. You can definitely tell that it was a directorial debut (by Drew Barrymore), from some of the rather novice seeming shots & cuts, however I still really enjoyed it. I love that it wasn't the typical Hollywood ending too (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it), and that it was more true to how things would happen in real life. It really made me want to get into derby myself (as I'm sure it has done for a lot of girls)!


I've thought of doing the derby in the past, but wasn't sure if I was up for the commitment. I have some friends that have gotten into it, and you have to practice at
least 2x a week, but 3x is optimal. Of course if you really want to get good, you have to practice more than that! And the bruises shown in the movie are definitely something that comes with the territory (although I've never seen a punch actually thrown at a bout). I'm not even sure if the shitty health insurance I have would cover the injuries that I would likely encounter!

But of course, the image of myself in roller skates & fishnets is again a fresh image in my mind. I guess we'll see what happens... I have been looking for some inspiration lately!

No comments: