Monday, October 26, 2009

Peppery Fig & Cider Compote

First of all, I love figs. LOVE THEM! Ugh - they're so delicious even by themselves. Biting into a fresh fig is one of my favorite moments of the year, since they aren't in season for most of it. They aren't too sweet, aren't sour at all, and have the most heavenly texture. It's a little fruity decadence that I allow myself annually.


So, on to a recipe that includes that fantastically figgy fruit! You may recognize this as a part of my Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu, which is why I wanted to share. I got it from the Epicurious.com website, and it was featured in Gourmet Magazine (October 2008). They say that it's great served with fresh ricotta, however I'm planning on serving it with some salty Tofurkey. Can't wait to try it out!

Peppery Fig & Cider Compote

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups Active Time: 10 min Total Time: 45 min

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces dried Mission figs, stemmed
1 1/2 cups unfiltered apple cider
1/4 cup sugar
3 (2-inch) strips orange zest
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed


DIRECTIONS

Cut figs into 1-inch pieces. Boil cider with figs and remaining ingredients, uncovered, until it is slightly syrupy and figs are plump, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: