Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fat guys, Skinny chicks

I just watched Paul Blart "Mall Cop", and it pretty much sucked. I think Kevin James is hysterical - I friggin' love the guy. But it definitely wasn't the funny movie of the year.

The reason why I'm posting this is that I recently realized a HUGE double-standard going on in movies. OK, it has been going on for a while, but after watching this movie and seeing the previews for "Couples Retreat" I just got pissed off. Kevin James is 44 years old, and really overweight. They pair him with a 30-year-old teeny tiny gorgeous girl. Whaaa? Really? Is it so hard to create a pairing that's just the slightest bit more realistic? Can't women that are slightly heavier, in a slightly more realistic age range be attractive too? Apparently not in Hollywood.

Now go on YouTube and search for the "Couples Retreat" trailor. Are any of those dudes thin / toned / in shape at ALL? No. Are the women? YES - every single one! Why is this still OK? I know that guys feel pressure from society, but I feel like it's being much more widely accepted that this kind of a double standard is okay.

I'm done venting now! But really, what is so wrong with a more realistic view of beauty? The guys are there apparently, but what about the girls? Eh? EH??

No comments: