Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hippies Love Labyrinth

Last night a group of my friends and I gathered up our blankets and beer and headed up to Red Rocks to see Labyrinth at "Film on the Rocks". For those of you who don't know what that is, every summer they do a film series at the infamous Red Rocks Amphitheater where they show awesome movies, that you can enjoy on a blanket outside with your friends while drinking an ice-cold $7 pint of beer, and eating a delicious $4 jalapeno cream cheese-stuffed pretzel.



Anyhoodle, last night we were thrilled -- our childhood nostalgia could come out & play while we watched one of Jim Henson's great muppet creations combined with the magic of David Bowie's music (and hair). Unfortunately after the movie started rolling, and the cheers began to subside over the awesome power of Bowie's presence -- we realized that the dialogue was a little difficult to decipher. My friend (who had never seen the film) leaned over to me at one point and said "I have no idea what the heck is going on!". I felt so sad for him because although I know the movie by heart, many moviegoers were having trouble enjoying it because the sound guy all thought we had super hero-like heightened hearing abilities, and could hear all the gentle mumblings from a 1/2 mile away.


What made things worse, was that somehow we ended up smack-dab in the middle of dirty hippie mayhem. A huge row of them decided to plop their hand-made organic unwashed hemp blankets behind us, and make our lives a living hell. Drunken shouting at their friends, stepping over us barefoot numerous times to use the bathroom, spilling beers, and pot smell loomed in all its glory. One especially drunken young man in their group (I would like to call him "pony tail visor wearing dude") decided to cozy up to our poor friend Tina and have a chat. Although I don't know what was said, I can only assume it wasn't one of the most intelligent conversations she's been a part of.


Twenty minutes before the movie ended, a few of us got fed up and left -- therefore missing all the traffic and ending our dirty hippie experience. However, Tina sent me an email today that made me wish I would have stayed a little longer. I guess Pony Tail Visor Wearing Dude was getting a mad stare-down by a girl very upset and annoyed by his rude drunken behavior. Apparently she was so bothered, that she eventually went and gave him a good slap across the face! I guess the rest of the crowd was just as bothered by him, because they all began to cheer, and he walked off to wallow in humiliation.


I can only hope now that he's realized that wearing a pony tail and a visor, getting wasted, then shouting at people isn't the way to win a girl's affections. Or anyone else's affections for that matter!

The End! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Flight of the Conchords spoof? Weird - like the movie - but hilarious. Check it out.

~RGNAZN