Thursday, October 25, 2012

Soup's On!!

It snowed like crazy last night in Denver (yep, SNOWED!), and we're supposed to get even more tonight.  Crazy, huh? 

But the best part of that means, it's time for SOUP!! 

I love love love soup.  Hearty chunky soup, creamy mellow soup - it warms you through and through.  Nothing is better than coming in from a cold day and having a hot steaming cup of your favorite soup. 

I recently made a big batch of "anything goes" soup which included pretty much everything but the kitchen sink - any veggies I had in the fridge and then some!  I threw in: 
- Carrots
- Celery
- Onions
- Potatoes
- Mushrooms
- Garlic
- Broccoli 
- Asparagus
- an Apple (it was great, trust me)
- leftover black beans

And I think even a few more ingredients.  I sauteed the harder veggies in olive oil in the pot first (the carrots / celery), then tossed the rest in.  I added some veggie stock and water and let it simmer for about 45 minutes or so.  Then I removed it from the heat and used my hand blender to get everything well blended.  I seasoned it and popped 1/2 of it in the freezer.  

It was great with noodles too - oh my goodness, so hearty and yummy! 

Unfortunately that soup is all gone now (I kind of ate it all), so I'm gonna have to make some more!  Luckily Pinterest has given me some great ideas for the next batch of warm delicious awesomeness: 


Vegan Sweet Potato & Cauliflower soup.  A lovely seasonal soup with a bright orange color - yum yum!  And so simple according to the recipe!  Can't wait to try it.


A classic favorite with a sweet twist - Butternut Squash & Apple Soup!  I love love LOVE butternut squash soup, and I happen to have a butternut squash sittin' on my counter right now, waiting to be chopped!  Definitely going to try this savory / sweet soup.


I found this one on the Whole Foods website, and boy does it sound hearty and totally delish.  Hearty Minestrone Soup!  Who doesn't love a big bowl of veggies and tummy-filling noodles?  YUM!



Lasagna + Soup = LASAGNA SOUP!  Yes, you heard that right.  How could this not be a crowd favorite?  It has everything!!  Of course I would use veggie sausage, but you understand. ;) 

Also, I saw that there were plenty of potatoes and leeks at the Farmer's Market last weekend, and this weekend is the last one so I'm gonna have to load up!  (So sad!!)  But man, potato leek soup is friggin' scrumptious.  

YAY FOR SOUP!! 

1 comment:

Kendra said...

yummmmmmm! i need to get myself a hand blender, stat.