Monday, February 13, 2012

Sweet, Delicious Valentine's Day LOVE-cookies!

I think I've come up with a WONDERFUL plan for Valentine's Day this year - a way to show John how much I care for him, without spending any dough, and still sticking to my Spending Fast.  Again, you'll have to wait for the details though - I don't want to spoil the surprise. ;) 

But I figure I can spill the beans (or dough) on a couple of little treats I made for him!  I have been on a crazy baking kick lately I guess.  I made two recipes from my favorite cookbook (How it all Vegan, of course), and made one of the recipes kinda my own! 


BANANA-ORANGE COCONUT COOKIES
Adapted from How it All Vegan recipe
These have a pretty strong banana flavor, but I LOVE that they turned out so soft and smushy.  My mom even said they tasted kind of "healthy" for a cookie.  Haha!  I sorta like 'em that way, to be honest.

2 bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 tsp soy milk
1 tsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
zest of 1/2 an orange
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup rolled oat flakes
1 cup coconut, shredded
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a blender or food processor, blend together the mashed bananas, vanilla, sugars (both), oil, milk, and orange juice.  In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and orange zest.  Stir in the oat flakes, then fold in the banana mixture (stir well).  Mix in the shredded coconut and chocolate chips.  Scoop tablespoon-sized portions onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet & bake for 15-20 minutes.  Makes about 12-24 cookies.  Store in an airtight container to keep them soft!


Adding the orange was kind of a whim - I just love the flavor combination of chocolate, orange, and coconut!  I love the little kick of orange that it gave the cookies though.  Definitely will make it this way again! 


Even better - no eggs in this recipe, so you can eat as much dough as you want!  And I totally did. :)  John is going to be jealous that I didn't save him any dough... 


....but, hey - he gets the cookies!! 

My next project was some peanut butter rice krispies.  They turned out SUPER good, and oooey goooooooey to boot!  Peanut butter, chocolate, brown rice cereal - how can you go wrong??  A slightly healthier version of the original, and just as delish. 
You'll have to get the cookbook yourself (or at least check it out from your local library) to get that recipe though! ;)  I did it as listed, so it'd feel a bit unethical to share.  Here's a good place to start! 

Another weekend-update post to come, and more Valentine's Day treats!! <3

OH - and how much do you love THIS IDEA for a new twist on Valentine's Day?  I absolutely love it.  Valentine's Day is what you make of it, and really - it's about sharing the day with people you love (not spending money on them).  :) 

No comments: