Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Homemade Granola

Sorry for the lack of posts - I got a sicky icky awful cold or something, and I've been pretty out of commission the last few days!  Apparently too sick to even get up and type a blog post.  Lame-o! 


Anyhoodle, over the weekend I decided to try and make my own homemade granola.  I was flipping channels last week and came across a cooking show - the lady was making her own granola to give as gifts.  It's always something I wanted to try, so I made a mental note of what she did and tried it myself!  It turned out pretty darn good, and it was pretty darn easy too! 





Beth's Homemade Granola
Feel free to adjust this to your liking - use your favorite kinds of nuts and seasonings, and add more or less sugar to your taste.  I think it's something I'll be experimenting a lot with in the future! 


Also, I didn't really measure the amounts - I just eyeballed everything.  But you can add a little at a time and adjust things accordingly. 

Ingredients 
- Rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind - you can find them in the bulk section of your grocery store)
- Nuts (I used slivered almonds, and pecan halves)
- Shredded coconut
- ground flaxseed
- Raisins (or other dried fruit)
- Brown Sugar
- Honey
- Butter (unsalted)
- Maple Syrup (I added some strawberry fig syrup as well, just since I had it)
- Cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large pan, toast the oats over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.  Dump the oats into a bowl and set aside.

In the same pan, melt some butter, and add your sugars (syrup, honey, brown sugar), as well as your cinnamon.  Mix everything well over medium heat.

Add the oats back to the pan, along with the nuts, flaxseed, raisins, coconut - and any other fun stuff you want to throw in there!  Mix well so that everything is evenly coated.

Dump everything onto a non-stick cookie sheet (with a rimmed edge), and spread evenly across.  Pop in the oven for about 10 minutes, turning once halfway through.  Remove from oven & let cool.  Store in an airtight container.



I have been eating it with vanilla soy yogurt, and it's totally delish!  John has been snacking on it on it's own.  It's crazy good! 


Anyway, I hope you all are feeling much better than I am right now (I'm hoping another good night of rest will be the ticket).  


Happy cooking! :) 

No comments: