Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Last Night's Dinner

Last night while I was on the phone to my momma, I described what I was having for dinner. "You're so darn healthy", she says "I try to be creative like that, but I always end up with chicken breast and a side of broccoli!"

I told her, that it don't take much to create a healthy / yummy / unique meal! :)

For this one I cooked up a Vegetarian Spicy Black Bean burger (I think it was Morningstar brand), plopped it on top of an Ezekiel (gluten-free) English Muffin spread with low-fat cream cheese, a dollop of salsa, fresh sliced tomato - and topped it with a lettuce leaf (since I'm not big on buns for both sides - it's just too much darn bread. You can't taste the best part - the FILLING)!

Next, I sliced up a 1/4 of an avocado, and drizzled it with a little BRAGGs for seasoning. My other side was leftover mashed potatoes & cauliflower that I'd made a few nights ago (which although came out rather clumpy, was very yummy).

It was all perfectly filling, and a great meal after a tough derby practice!

Beth's Quickie Smashed Potatoes & Cauliflower
- 1 small head of cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 3-4 small red potatoes (cut into pieces)
- low-fat cream cheese (or Tofutti cream cheese for vegans)
- unsalted butter (or fake butter for vegans)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- salt/pepper

Makes about 4 servings

Boil water in a large pot, and dump in the cauliflower & potatoes. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until everything is tender. Drain & return to pot.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, and start mashing the crap outta it to combine. Stir well, and serve hot! It's OK if it's all a bit lumpy - I kinda like it that way. This is great as leftovers for the week too!

No comments: