Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lakeside Amusement Park - what a "Wild Ride"!

Last week I finished a ridiculously fun, witty, and super cute book called "Wild Ride" by Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer.

I love all of Jennifer Crusie's books - she usually writes clever romance novels (for current-day gals), that I enjoy taking to the beach with me. This time I needed something easy and fun to dive into while between Book Club books, and this one definitely fit the bill! It was about a group of characters living in an amusement park that had to keep the world safe... by keeping 5 demons locked up in separate areas of the park. I won't give away more than that, but it's full of romance, adventure, quick comebacks, excitement.... I couldn't put it down.

Then yesterday, one of my favorite friends ever, Jesse, invited me to go to Lakeside Amusement Park - right here in Denver! I couldn't turn him down, so I skipped derby practice to see what all the hooplah was.

Turns out that the park is a wonderful slice of history - opened in 1908, and containing the world-famous "Cyclone" roller coaster. Needless to say, it was the first ride we went on!

On our way up the hill... Jesse tells me "You'd better put your camera away - you're gonna drop it!"

To which I reply "No way, man - it'll be fine! It's just an old coaster, and I want to take a picture of the sunset...... oh.... my.... AHHHHHH!!!!" :)

Yah, it was WAY scarier than I thought it was going to be - partly because I thought it was going to fall apart and send us careening to earth at any moment. But it didn't.

The park was so beautiful. It definitely needs some love from a wealthy investor, but the joy and nostalgia is still there, and people still come to reminisce, entertain their kids, and have some good-old fashioned fun.

It was the perfect place to go to after reading "Wild Ride"! Maybe I should make a theme of it! Read a book, then do something related to the book. Hmmm.... I think I have something there!



Jesse - so cute! He was my ride-buddy for the evening, and a great one at that.

I wish my camera hadn't run out of juice before the sun went down.... everything looked so awesome lit up in neon lights!

That's the original ferris wheel on the left... I think it's so cool that it's still there!




Gettin' ready to get on the "Whip"...



I totally almost lost my camera to get these shots, but they were definitely worth it! Hilarious!

We went on the bumper cars, the bumper boats, played skee-ball, found our way through the Crystal Palace maze, ate pizza & soft serve ice cream.... it was like my childhood relived! I could not wipe the smile off my face the entire time we were there. Case in point:

Oh, and pretty much the ONLY ride I refused to go on that night (but that Jesse was brave enough to attempt)... I know I would've thrown up. Maybe 15 years ago, but not anymore!

It was probably one of the best evenings of my adult life. Good thing I can still act like a kid every now & then!

No comments: