Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Plan of attack for a healthier me!

As you know, one of my new year's resolutions for 2013 is to be a better healthier version of me.  That means body, mind, and soul!  

So here's my plan of attack: 


1.) We're starting off the year with a sugar cleanse.  I know that I have been eating WAYYY too much refined sugar since I started working at the bakery, and in turn so has John (poor guy - I basically wave the cupcakes under his nose when I bring them home).  So to get our bodies readjusted, we're going without for a little while.  Here is what we're going to be cutting out:

- sucrose (refined sugar).  All cupcakes, sodas, sweets.  You know, the OBVIOUS bad stuff. ;)  This also means no honey, agave nectar, or syrups.
- glucose (sugar from carbohydrates).  Yep, that means no breads, crackers, pastas, etc. Brown rice pastas, brown rice, and quinoa are fine!
- fructose (sugar from fruit).  I know it sounds crazy, but we're trying to starve our bodies of sugar right now!  

Once we're clear of the sugar, we'll start introducing the good sugars (fruits & whole grains) back into our diets again.  What's great about this cleanse is that fruit will taste so much sweeter when we have it again - it'll be a dessert all by itself! :) 

I'm going to stock up on healthy groceries, and try out some new recipes.  I absolutely love finding new & amazing recipes to try that are delicious AND nutritious.  I live for this stuff! 



Maybe something like Grilled Polenta & Balsamic Vegetables?  YUM! 



2.)  I'm going to yoga this upcoming Sunday!  No excuses!  Kendra, do you hear me?  :)  (Kendra and I have been trying to get our acts together to go to a free yoga class near her house for a while now!  We've been a few times, but we really want to go more regularly).

The free class is SO AWESOME, and for the last few weeks I've totally wussed out.  I definitely want to make it a habit of going every Sunday - I always feel so amazing afterward, so it should be easy!  This one is good for my body and soul too.

3.)  Get out of bed early, and get my body moving and improving daily.  I know this will take some time to get in the habit of doing every day again, but it's important to me.  I plan to start slowly (aim for 2-3 days a week), then work up from there.  I tend to set the bar a little too high early on and failing quickly, so I'm trying a different tactic.  It's my basic plan to do anything active - whether it's a workout video, a long walk, a jog, or a few sets with weights!

So those are my 3 basic steps for now.  I know the hardest one will be #1 for now, but that's only a starting off point - a springboard to shoot me towards better health.  The first few days are always the hardest, but I know I can do it!  

How are you going to attack your goals in the new year?  


3 comments:

Kendra said...

I hear you! Challenge accepted.

Nikki said...

Have you seen the website, www.100daysofrealfood.com ? I just stumbled across it this AM and it's really cool! Your blogging of a healthier you reminded me of this website. Check it!

Robyn said...

I was totally just noshing on some dark chocolate as I came across your post. Thanks for the motivation! Sugar is so hard to get away from; I may have to try this myself! Happy 2013 ;)