Monday, October 3, 2011

"Over the Weekend" (with Butternut Squash Pasta)

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!!  
Mine actually turned out more relaxing (and productive) than I expected it to be, which was pretty darn awesome.  

John and I hit up the Farmer's Market by us - it's all over for the year at the end of October!  NOOOOOO!!!!  I'm going to miss the market BIG time.  I love fall / winter, but it'll be hard letting that go.  Luckily there is an indoor market, but it isn't quite the same since, you know, nothing gets harvested in the winter. ;)

How totally gorgeous are these flowers?  I just adore the colors of autumn... 

 John and his ever-fabulous sunglasses.

 More flowers (of course) - sooooo pretty!

We spent all of our cash on fresh fruits & veggies, but we were both super tempted by the food stands!  We pooled together our last $3 and got a mushroom, cheese, onion empinada with homemade spicy relish.  It was delish!  

Only downfall was that afterward my tummy hurt pretty badly... I think I'm having problems with cheese.  See more below about that.
After the Farmer's Market, John and I did some cookin'.  He made sausage-stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos (which I did NOT take pictures of, nor partake in - although they smelled heavenly).  I made up my own creation since I had to use my butternut squash that's been sitting on the counter for a month!
Butternut Squash Pasta with Pine Nuts & Goat Cheese

INGREDIENTS
1 butternut squash, peeled & seeded, cut into 1/2 to 1" chunks
1/2 cup pine nuts 
1 bag of pasta (any kind - I used bowtie) 
Goat cheese
Butter / olive oil
Salt & pepper
Butternut squash soup (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Spread out your butternut squash chunks on a cookie sheet, and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.  Season with salt & pepper, and place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (this can be done ahead of time).  

They should come out looking like this!  Loverly! 

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile lightly toast the pine nuts in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat (be VERY CAREFUL to not walk away while doing this - they burn so darn easily!). 

In a small saucepan, melt some butter with some pre-made butternut squash soup.  I just happened to have this in the fridge, so I decided to use it, but feel free to just use butter with a splash of soymilk and a little bit of flour to thicken.  You really don't need much sauce for this recipe - it's really just to add flavor. 

Drain pasta, and put into a bowl.  Mix in the pine nuts and the butternut squash, as well as the "sauce".  Season well with salt & pepper.  Top with crumbled goat cheese. 



This turned out SO delicious, and it will be a perfect meal on a cold winter's day.  Of course it was about 80 degrees when I was having it, but whatevz. ;) 

Again, after eating this, my tummy was doing flip-flops.  I am pretty darn sure it was the cheese.  I've been putting on a few pounds lately - mostly from over-eating and indulging in whatever the heck I want (ice cream, wine, pizza - not necessarily in that order).  I am getting back into a bit of a health-kick for a little while, as my jeans are getting a bit tight!  

Yes, my motivation is that I don't want to buy bigger pants.  I think that's good enough! 

No comments: