Monday, October 31, 2011

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! (And our Stanley Hotel tour)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!  It needed to be said twice. :)

We threw a pretty EPIC Halloween party over the weekend - don't worry, pics are coming soon!  John and I were pretty pooped on Sunday, but we still managed to get our butts off the couch and head up to Estes Park, CO to attend our tour of the infamous Stanley Hotel. 


It really is a beautiful hotel - inside and out!  It was fun learning all of the history too, and all of the ghost stories.  

 
I just got these images from a Google search, but we did take a lot of pictures while we were there.  We didn't see any ghosts, or get any kind of eerie feelings, so maybe they were all taking a break for the day.  The tour guide said you pretty much can't stay one night there without hearing strange noises or being woken up in the middle of the night!

It made me really want to read The Shining by Steven King.  I knew that the book was based by his experience at this hotel, but I didn't know how crazy of a circumstance it was.  I guess he was teaching at a college at the time, and had writer's block.  He stayed the night in Room 217 and had some pretty wacky dreams and experiences there.  When he got home, he wrote The Shining in 7 DAYS.  Wowza!  I've always loved the movie by Stanley Krubrick, but I know he took a lot of creative license with the story.  I would love to read the original and get my own take on it! 

Tonight John and I are having our FIRST Halloween Trick-or-Treaters this evening, which I'm SO excited about.  I think I'm going to throw on my Minnie Mouse costume that I bought for a party a couple of years ago just for fun.  I can't really wear the costume I wore on Saturday - it's not really "kid appropriate".  HA!  

HAVE A WONDERFUL (and safe) HALLOWEEN!! :)  

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I've always wanted to visit the Stanley Hotel! I haven't read The Shining either, only seen the movie, but I think I would be afraid the book would just creep me out too much. No reading that one at night!

Beth B said...

I feel the same way!! I always think of that "friends" episode when Rachel (or was it Joey?) has the copy of the book in their freezer (because they're scared of it). Haha! I still really wanna read it though... in the daytime. ;)