Friday, January 16, 2009

Napoleon Complex


Did you know that Napoleon Bonaparte was 1.7 meters tall? That's approximately 5 feet 7 inches here in the US of A. So really, he wasn't all that short. I guess he was short by some men's standards, but hey, I'm 5'5". He still would've been taller than me (if I weren't wearing my 5" platform shoes). Which I am. This painting was a portrait of Napoleon done by Antoine-Jean Gros. This is a very different depiction of the Napoleon I'm used to seeing. I always imagined him as a short, balding, somewhat ugly man. This painting shows him as a regal, handsome young man, with flowing locks of hair. Interesting interpretation eh? It's funny how before cameras & video, the way we visualize historical people & events is moreso based on their actions - or how an artist depicts them. Yeah, I totally Wikipedia'd the shit out of Napoleon today. Just 'cause I was curious how tall he actually was. Hope y'all have a great weekend! :)

No comments: