Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pierogi Dinner / Power Juice & Healthy Breakfast

While I was at the Farmer's Market last weekend, I found some AMAZING hand-made pierogis for sale!  If you've never had them before - it's basically a Polish-style dumpling, or ravioli.  They're usually stuffed with anything from cheese & potatoes (the ones I got), to cabbage.  You usually serve them with a lot of melted butter & onions, topped with a dollop of sour cream (if you feel so inclined).  They're delicious, and my dad has gotten me hooked on them since childhood! 


John helped me whip up this meal the other night - and it turned out great!  I just sauteed some sliced onions in 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter (I didn't want it to be TOO much butter), then added the pierogi, and covered the pan with a lid. 

I let them simmer for about 5 minutes, then flipped them over, and tucked them back under the onions for another 5 minutes.  They were perfect! 

The salad we made was awesome too - here's the recipe for that: 

Simple Healthy Salad
- kale
- spinach
- romaine lettuce
- 1/2 a beet (grated)
- 1-2 carrots (grated)
- chopped pecans
- honey 
- olive oil & balsamic vinegar

Place the chopped pecans in a hot pan, and toss gently to toast them.  Drizzle with a little bit of honey, toss again, and set aside.   

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl, mix well, and top with the pecans. 


This was a lovely crunchy compliment to the savory, buttery pierogi!  


---------------------------------------


This morning I wanted a healthy breakfast, and since I'm doing Weight Watchers again (just to get back on track a bit from our unexpected Oklahoma trip), I didn't want to have any toast or anything like that.  

Also, I was inspired to start using my juicer again, so I made an awesome super-juice to go along with my meal! 

 
Low-Carb Delicious Breakfast
- 2 eggs (I used the ones I got at the Farmer's Market - free-range, organic, local - they taste SO GOOD)
- splash of almond milk
- slice of cheese (I used veggie cheese - mozzarella)
- zucchini (diced)
- spices
- 2 tomato slices (diced)
- hot sauce (I used Siryacha)

Crack eggs into a bowl, add a splash of almond milk and season with spices.  Beat well, and set aside. 

In a medium pan over medium heat, add the zucchini and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add the beaten eggs, and the cheese slice (I tore mine into smaller pieces).  Keep moving the eggs around until well scrambled, and they begin to cook.  

Meanwhile, dice the tomato, and set on your plate.  Top with the hot sauce. 

Flip the eggs around, and remove from heat just when they have stopped being runny (they will continue to cook when you remove them from the heat, and be perfect)!.  Add to your plate with the tomatoes.  Yum yum! 


It was filling, savory, and a wonderful start to the day.  My juice was a perfect sweet accompaniment as well! 

Beth's Super Juice
- 1 beet 
- 2 apples
- 5 carrots
- 1/2" slice of ginger (or more if you like, but a little ginger goes a long way!)

Add all the ingredients to your juicer, stir well, and enjoy! 
 

No comments: