Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easy on-the-go Breakfast Idea!


Lately I've been rushing out the door to get to work.  I've been sleeping late, and I absolutely hate skipping breakfast! 

I found a container of plain instant oats in one of our cupboards, and thought I'd make some use of it.  I usually try to eat non-instant oats (they take about 15-mins to cook on the stove), as they're healthier, but sometimes you gotta just use what you have (especially when you're in a rush).  Also I never like letting food go to waste!  

I used to eat the instant oatmeal packets when I was a kid - I remember loving the brown sugar kind from Quaker Oats.  But they're so processed, and you can't control the amount of sugar & salt that's in it.  Yes, it's a convenient serving size, but this is a much healthier way to do instant oats, and it only takes a few minutes longer! 



Easy Morning Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving

1/3 cup instant oatmeal (plain)
1/2 an apple (diced)
1 tbsp flaxseed (ground)
1 tbsp brown sugar (or honey)
dash of cinnamon
splash of soymilk (optional)

Mix all ingredients together, and place in a heat-safe container (glass is preferable instead of plastic).
When you get to work, turn on your water-boiler (I keep one on my desk for tea, coffee, and oatmeal), and fill to the top.  Just eyeball the amount of water to add - I like mine a little thin, so I eyeball about 1/3 to 2/3 a cup.  If you don't have a water-boiler, just add cold water & microwave for about 1-2 mins.

Stir well, let sit for about 1 minute, then enjoy!  I like to add a splash of soy creamer that I keep in
the fridge at work right before eating for a little added yumminess. 

This is easy to pre-make for the week, then just dump a serving into a container!  Just slice the apple each morning though (otherwise they'll get brown & icky).  It only takes a second. :)


No comments: